Sunday, April 27, 2008

Step by Step - Using an Overlay

Hi there, this post is the first in what I hope will be many inspirational posts on "how to", "step by step" or "hints" on using products that we stock at Scraploot. We will supply you with links to these products in the shop, and we will offer as much information as possible, but of couse if you have any questions all you need to is leave a comment on the bottom of a post and the Design Team will be more then happy to answer them for you.

OK so first up I thought I would show you just one way on how to use these gorgeous Overlays from Fancy Pants, one of the new CHA releases we have in the shop.

Materials list


White Bazzill Card stock
Fancy Pants Overlay
About a Boy paper Chillin
About a Boy Paper Wild Child
Fancy Pants Journaling Cards
Bella Chipboard Alphabets
Black Ink
Felt
Cotton
Buttons
3 photos


OK First off you need to sort out the placing of your photos, here I lay the overlay on top of my card stock to get a rough idea of where I want everything placed on the layout
next step is to Sand all of the edges of the photos.
then trim off 2 strips of the patterned paper, I have the bolder pattern in a wider panel, about 2 inches wide, and the more plain colour is a smaller strip, about 1 inch wide. Then ink all of your edges.
Place some double sided tape on your bolder pattern of patterned paper, then take off the backing and gently place it on your card stock, repeat this also with your main photo. Place your overlay on top of these and gently move your patterned paper and photos around till you get an idea of where you want these placed, **TIP**keep in mind about the patterns on the overlay. Once you are happy with the placing of the patterned paper take the overlay off and stick it down, place the thinner strip of patterned paper over the top of this bolder pattern and then place your main photo on the layout. Repeat this again till you have placed all of your photos onto the layout.
Next I wanted to stitch the overlay to the card stock (of course you don't have to do this, you could use Pritt Gel to adhere the overlay) **TIP** you don't want to go lumpy under the overlay, it will make attaching it to your card stock too difficult.
Attach your journaling card, I used double sided tape first then a couple of staples. Journal on your card.
Add your title to the page.
then embellish it how you wish, here I have used some buttons out of my stash **TIP**Fancy pants have also released some funky looking buttons that co-ordinate with their new releases
and some felt I cut out and sewed around.


I hope you take up the challenge of an overlay, if you do please leave a link here and I will have a looksee!!

till next time HAPPY SCRAPPING

Anthea

No comments: